Saturday, May 23, 2009

...

I will continue on with the below and respond to the very welcomed comments and such soon as possible. I've had to take a bit of a break the past few days as my health has stopped improving again. Tonight I got an hour nap to help my finish the day, which I find pretty pathetic... but "His strength is made perfect in my weakness"... it's a good thing!

I just had a random thought... When Rory is trying to decide on colleges in the amazingly comical "Gilmore Girls" series, she creates one of the famous Gilmore Girl "pro-con lists"... as far as my fall semester goes, I think that is my next step! :)

But, for the present, I'm working on some new repertoire: I think I'm going to finally learn Rhapsody in Blue (I've known parts of it for a while, but never buckled down to finish it), and I need to get a hold of a good sonata. A few other pieces, and then some Ben Folds and Muse that I'm currently working on. What would I do without the piano???

Well back to my big red couch, my journal, and my Garden State soundtrack... 'night!




p.s. here is an interesting article i found in the questions and answers part of boundless.org an AMAZING webzine for college students.... check it out!!! :)


DEAR BOUNDLESS ANSWERS

I have read the Bible through from cover to cover six times and the New Testament more times than I can count. I don't get the concept of reading the same message day after day. The Scriptures state that the word will be written on our hearts. I am bored reading the Scriptures. I wish I wasn't but the fact of the matter is, I am bored.

I would like to hear what you have to say regarding my comments.

REPLY

When you practice a spiritual discipline, whether it's reading the Bible or praying or fasting or whatever, it's absolutely critical to remember the goal: greater connection with the living God. Behind all of these disciplines is not a discipline; it's a Person, Jesus Christ, Who desires to know us, to be in relationship with us. Reading the Bible can become boring when the point is just to "get through" a certain amount of Scripture in a certain time period. That's not the point. The point is daily connection with God, ultimately leading to a moment-by-moment connection. God wants us not merely to read about Him, but to walk with Him.

I suggest that you take a step back to see the big picture regarding your discipline of reading the Bible, and ask yourself a key question: Why am I doing this? Is it merely to accomplish a reading goal? To check off a "to do" list? To please God? What pleases God is not simply the practice of a spiritual discipline, but the end result of a deeper and more intimate connection with His heart, leading to a passionate, vibrant relationship with your Creator. Sometimes that's accomplished by reading, sometimes praying, sometimes just sitting reflecting and meditating on His Word and His character, and sometimes just listening quietly.

I remember reading in seminary a book on teaching the Bible, written by Dr. Howard Hendricks, a professor at Dallas Theological Seminary. In it he tells the story of a person who came to him one day and said, with a hint of pride, "I've been through the Bible 15 times, Dr. Hendricks!" I'll never forget Dr. Hendricks' response: "Wonderful! Now, how many times has the Bible been through you?"

That little encounter has stuck with me over the years, gently reminding me that when I sit down to read my Bible, it's not about how much of it I can get through, but how much of it gets through me.

Blessings,
JOHN THOMAS

0 comments: